October 31, 2019: Kamala Harris is restructuring her campaign, sending more staffers to Iowa and reducing staff at her Maryland headquarters. Donald Trump ran a campaign ad during the final night of the World Series on Wednesday.
Here’s the latest from the campaign trail.
“Last week, two polls painted two very different pictures of the state of the primary race. A CNN/SSRS poll put former Vice President Joe Biden 15 points ahead of Sen. Elizabeth Warren, 34 percent to 19 percent, while a Quinnipiac University poll released a day later found Biden trailing Warren by 7 points, 21 to 28 percent. …
In short, the fact that they found such different outcomes isn’t that big a deal. As you can see in the chart below, once we control for house effects, the overall spread between polls since May isn’t actually all that large. In fact, the spread of values for both Biden and Warren fall within a range we might expect. So don’t read too much into those two polls. Turns out they’re just the kind of outliers we’d expect to see in this range of polls.”
– Laura Bronner, FiveThirtyEight
- Michael Bennet, Joe Biden, Cory Booker, Steve Bullock, Pete Buttigieg, Julián Castro, John Delaney, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Beto O’Rourke, Bernie Sanders, Tom Steyer, Elizabeth Warren, and Andrew Yang are attending the 2019 Iowa Democratic Party Liberty & Justice Celebration in Des Moines on Friday. To qualify, candidates needed to open at least two field offices with 10 staffers in Iowa or buy the state party’s voter file.
- Bennet spoke about healthcare at the HLTH conference on Wednesday in Las Vegas.
- Booker discussed gun buyback programs and civility in politics on The View Wednesday.
- Tulsi Gabbard tweeted Wednesday she was preparing for Army National Guard duty. She also called Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan a “radical Islamist megalomaniac who wants to establish a caliphate.”
- Harris is restructuring her campaign, sending more staffers to Iowa and reducing staff at her Maryland headquarters. Her campaign manager, Juan Rodriguez, is also reducing his salary. Harris is planning to launch a seven-figure ad campaign before the Iowa caucuses.
- Klobuchar begins her second bus tour of Iowa Thursday with an event in Des Moines.
- Sanders is attending a forum hosted by Rights & Democracy, the New Hampshire Youth Movement, and People’s Action in New Hampshire Thursday. He is also filing to run in the state primary.
- Warren is expected to open her first California offices in Oakland and Los Angeles in November.
- Marianne Williamson will campaign in New Hampshire Thursday, holding meet-and-greets in Derry and Amherst.
- Yang is holding a Halloween Power Hour Thursday, where he will call 60 supporters in 60 minutes during a livestream.
- Donald Trump ran a campaign ad during the final night of the World Series on Wednesday. “He’s no Mr. Nice Guy, but sometimes it takes a Donald Trump to change Washington,” the narrator says in the clip.
General Election Updates
- Twitter announced Wednesday that it will no longer accept political advertising on its platform beginning Nov. 22.
What We’re Reading
- CBS News: 2020 Daily Trail Markers: Filing period for candidates begins in New Hampshire
- FiveThirtyEight: Biden Up 15. Warren Up 7. Are Primary Polls Too Far Apart?
- The Wall Street Journal: Vulnerable House Democrats Wary of Campaigning for Medicare for All in 2020 Race
Flashback: October 31, 2015
Donald Trump released his platform for veterans’ healthcare and employment services.