|January 9, 2020: Donald Trump is holding a rally in Toledo, Ohio, on Thursday night. Rep. Anthony Brown (Md.) endorsed Pete Buttigieg.
Notable Quote of the Day
“In the new year, with the caucuses rapidly approaching, no candidate (save for Delaney) is embarking on an Iowa-or-bust strategy. Back in 2008, between Dec. 1 and the caucuses on Jan. 3, the top candidates spent at least 23 of the campaign’s final 34 days in Iowa. But this month, Buttigieg isn’t scheduled to return until Jan. 12, and in the meantime has spent three days in the Super Tuesday state of Texas. After a couple of days in Iowa at the start of the year, Klobuchar went to Nevada and New Hampshire. Sanders left last Sunday and won’t be back until this Saturday. For the first half of the month, Warren is campaigning in the state only on the weekends, while last Tuesday she held a rally with Julián Castro in New York. Biden hasn’t been to Iowa since Sunday, relying for now on a bus tour of surrogates.”
– Bill Scher, Politico
- Wolf Blitzer, Abby Phillip, and Brianne Pfannenstiel will moderate Tuesday night’s Democratic primary debate. The deadline to qualify for the debate is Friday.
- Michael Bennet will speak at the College of Charleston’s “Bully Pulpit Series” in South Carolina on Friday.
- Joe Biden released several digital ads focused on gun violence as part of a $4 million advertising campaign in Iowa. Biden is attending a fundraiser in California co-hosted by former Sen. Barbara Boxer and Rep. Lou Correa, among others.
- Michael Bloomberg delivered a speech about his jobs plan in Chicago on Wednesday.
- Cory Booker discussed the impeachment trial and his presidential campaign in an interview on the Associated Press’ Ground Game podcast.
- Rep. Anthony Brown (Md.) endorsed Pete Buttigieg on Thursday. Brown, the first member of the Congressional Black Caucus to back Buttigieg, will serve as his campaign’s first national co-chair. Buttigieg also held a rally in Denver on Wednesday.
- Tulsi Gabbard discussed the killing of Qasem Soleimani and Iranian missile strikes on CNN and Fox News on Wednesday. She opened a new campaign office in Manchester, New Hampshire.
- Amy Klobuchar is holding a town hall in Ottumwa, Iowa, on Friday.
- Deval Patrick is campaigning in New Hampshire on Thursday with stops in Hanover and Milford.
- Bernie Sanders wrote an op-ed in The Des Moines Register about his campaign’s fundraising approach and economic policies. Sanders is holding town halls in Iowa on Friday.
- Tom Steyer is holding town halls in New Hampshire on Thursday. He spoke about climate change, young voters, and race relations in an interview with Blavity Politics.
- Elizabeth Warren is building her Georgia campaign, hiring six senior staffers in and around Atlanta this week. She answered reader questions in a video segment for Elle.
- Marianne Williamson is speaking at a candidate forum on faith and politics in Des Moines on Thursday.
- In an appearance on The View, Andrew Yang said he would leave the power to declare war to Congress.
- Donald Trump will hold his first campaign rally of the year in Toledo, Ohio, on Thursday night.
- The Des Moines Register editorial board interviewed Bill Weld about Iran, the Republican Party, and the Democratic primary on Wednesday.
What We’re Reading
Flashback: January 9, 2016
Ed Brookover, a former national field director for the Republican National Committee, replaced Barry Bennett as Ben Carson’s campaign manager.