|July 27, 2020: Donald Trump will make his first public appearance in North Carolina since March. Ninety field organizers for the Florida Democratic Party signed an open letter criticizing the Biden campaign for not having an actionable field plan in the state.
The Cook Political Report updated its race ratings on July 24, 2020:
- Florida moved from Toss Up to Lean Democratic.
Notable Quote of the Day
“Four years ago today, 8,879 people crammed into an arena in Toledo, Ohio, and waved signs and pumped fists and jumped up and down and shrieked at the sight of the man Republicans the week before had tapped as their candidate for president. …
The frenzied scene kicked off the finale of a frenetic Wednesday, the itinerary taking Trump from an extraordinary late morning news conference in Miami to a boisterous late afternoon rally in Scranton, Pennsylvania, to the spectacle of the nightcap in Toledo—three swing-state stops in one wild 12-hour span. …
Now, though, Trump is no longer a novelty but an incumbent running for reelection, his approval ratings are a shade above 40 percent, he’s trailing the 77-year-old Democratic warhorse Biden by double digits in polls, and the gap seems to be widening. And if you’re looking for a single date that exemplifies the contrast between this campaign and that one, you might zero in on July 27.”
– Michael Kruse, Politico
- Joe Biden is visiting Washington, D.C., on Monday to pay respects to the late Rep. John Lewis, who is lying in state in the Capitol.
- Biden spoke at a virtual fundraiser for the Iowa Democratic Party on Sunday. He called the state “a critical battleground for our campaign.” The event sold 1,400 tickets.
- Ninety field organizers for the Florida Democratic Party signed an open letter criticizing the Biden campaign for not having an actionable field plan to coordinate voter outreach efforts in the state, particularly for Spanish-, Portuguese-, and Creole-speaking communities.
- Donald Trump is making his first public appearance in North Carolina since early March on Monday. He is visiting a biotech facility in Morrisville working on developing a vaccine for COVID-19.
- The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute requested that Trump and the Republican National Committee stop using Reagan’s likeness in fundraising efforts.
- Kanye West tweeted on Saturday, “I CAN BEAT BIDEN OFF OF WRITE INS #2020VISION.”
What We’re Reading
Flashback: July 27, 2016
Tim Kaine received the Democratic vice presidential nomination by acclamation.