Ballot measures to legalize marijuana were passed by voters in Arizona, Montana, New Jersey, and South Dakota, bringing the total number of states with laws providing for legal marijuana to 15.
Arizona, Montana, and South Dakota are the only states besides Alaska that voted for Republican presidential candidates from 2000 to 2016 and that have now voted to legalize recreational marijuana. North Dakota, which also voted for Republican presidential candidates from 2000 to 2016, rejected a recreational marijuana ballot measure in 2018.
As of 8:00 AM ET, the results for this year’s recreational or personal use marijuana measures is as follows:
- Arizona Proposition 207: 59.8% – 40.02%
- Montana Initiative 118: 57.7% – 42.3%
- Montana Initiative 190: 56.6% – 43.4%
- New Jersey: 66.9% – 33.1%
- South Dakota: 53.4% – 46.6%