President Joe Biden (D) on Jan. 20, 2021, signed an executive order revoking six executive orders on agency regulatory practice issued by former President Donald Trump (R).
E.O. 13992 revoked the following Trump administration executive orders:
- Executive Order 13771 (Reducing Regulation and Controlling Regulatory Costs): Established regulatory budgets for federal agencies and required agencies to eliminate two old regulations for each new regulation issued.
- Executive Order 13777 (Enforcing the Regulatory Reform Agenda): Established new regulatory reform officers and regulatory reform task forces to oversee the implementation of E.O. 13771.
- Executive Order 13875 (Evaluating and Improving the Utility of Federal Advisory Committees): Directed agencies to eliminate non-statutory advisory committees whose missions have been accomplished, whose subject matter has become obsolete, whose primary functions have been assumed by another entity, or whose costs outweigh benefits.
- Executive Order 13891 (Promoting the Rule of Law Through Improved Agency Guidance Documents): Prohibited federal administrative agencies from issuing binding rules through guidance documents.
- Executive Order 13892 (Promoting the Rule of Law Through Transparency and Fairness in Civil Administrative Enforcement and Adjudication): Required federal administrative agencies to provide the public with fair notice of regulations.
- Executive Order 13893 (Increasing Government Accountability for Administrative Actions by Reinvigorating Administrative PAYGO): Required agencies to consider cost reduction efforts in administrative actions.
Biden’s executive order also abolished “any personnel positions, committees, task forces, or other entities” established pursuant to the revoked executive orders. These include the regulatory reform officer positions and the regulatory reform task forces established under E.O. 13777.
- Presidential Executive Order 13771 (Donald Trump, 2017)
- Presidential Executive Order 13777 (Donald Trump, 2017)
- Presidential Executive Order 13875 (Donald Trump, 2019)
- Presidential Executive Order 13891 (Donald Trump, 2019)
- Presidential Executive Order 13892 (Donald Trump, 2019)
- Presidential Executive Order 13893 (Donald Trump, 2019)