The filing deadline to run for elected office in New Jersey is on April 5, 2021. In New Jersey, prospective candidates may file for the following offices:
• Lieutenant Governor
• New Jersey State Senate (all 40 seats)
• New Jersey General Assembly (all 80 seats)
Ballotpedia is also covering local elections in the following counties:
• Essex County
• Hudson County
The primary is scheduled for June 8, and the general election is scheduled for November 2.
New Jersey’s statewide filing deadline is the fifth of six to take place in the 2021 election cycle. The last statewide filing deadline is on May 21 in Washington.
New Jersey has a Democratic state government trifecta. A trifecta exists when one political party simultaneously holds the governor’s office and majorities in both state legislative chambers. Democrats have a 25-14 majority with one vacancy in the state Senate and a 52-28 majority in the state House. Democratic Governor Phil Murphy was elected to office in 2017.
- New Jersey state executive official elections, 2021
- New Jersey State Senate elections, 2021
- New Jersey General Assembly elections, 2021
- Municipal elections in Essex County, New Jersey (2021)
- Municipal elections in Hudson County, New Jersey (2021)