In Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, voters approved a ballot initiative to prohibit solitary confinement in the county jail. The ballot initiative received 70% of the vote. In Pittsburgh, which is also located in Allegheny County, voters approved a ballot initiative to prohibit the police from executing warrants without knocking or announcing themselves. It received 81% of the vote.
Ballotpedia has tracked five local ballot measures in 2021 concerning
- police oversight;
- the powers and structure of oversight commissions;
- police and incarceration practices;
- law enforcement department structure and administration;
- reductions in or restrictions on law enforcement budgets;
- law enforcement training requirements; or
- body and dashboard camera footage.
Ballotpedia identified 20 local police-related ballot measures on the ballot for the election on November 3, 2020, that qualified following the death of George Floyd.