Both of the candidates running in the Sept. 14, 2023, special general election for Tennessee House of Representatives District 51 — Aftyn Behn (D) and David Hooven (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Here are the candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Uphold and defend LGBTQIA and reproductive rights, especially as the state criminalizes pregnancy and increases state surveillance of our trans community.
- Stand up to state overreach and introduce tactics I’ve learned from other states to combat the racist, undemocratic state preemption of our cities.
- I will push to expand supports for caregivers across the state as they deserve to be respected, protected and paid for the essentialism work they do every day.”
- “Communication in a civil manner. It seems most of us are yelling to be heard and all that does is push those we wish to influence further away.
- We must join together and provide our educators the tools to teach financial accountability to the next generation. A State wide program will propel our people to new heights.
- I have designed better way to reduce the number of people leaving jails/prisons with no hope. The costs of human life and financial burden with be unsustainable if new programs are not instituted.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.