Both of the candidates running in the Nov. 7, 2023, general election for Jeffco Board of Education District 3 — Michelle Applegate (nonpartisan) and Thomas Wicke (nonpartisan) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Here are the candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “We must ensure strong, thriving public schools through a focus on student achievement and growth, replicating what works, and understanding the needs of our students, educators, and staff.
- We can settle for nothing less than safe, secure schools, because we know learning happens best when everyone feels safe and a sense of belonging.
- We can build trust through budget transparency, and use engagement, feedback, and data to make the informed decisions that drive us forward.”
- “Jeffco has lost the trust of parents. Key to regaining it is transparent, open and proactive communication.
- Fiscal integrity. The budgeted $55 million deficit (next 3 years) is unsustainable. Hold Jeffco accountable!
- Academic achievement. Example: Only 30% of 7th graders meet MIN state standards. Unacceptable.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.