September 20, 2019: Bill de Blasio announced he was ending his presidential campaign on Friday morning. The Bernie Sanders campaign announced it had received contributions from 1 million donors.
Each Friday, we’ll highlight a presidential candidate’s key campaign staffer.
Richard McDaniel is a Democratic staffer with experience campaigning in the southeast. McDaniel graduated from Morehouse College with a degree in sociology in 2007.
Previous campaign work:
- 2017 Doug Jones U.S. Senate campaign, field director and political director
- 2017 Randall Woodfin mayoral campaign (Birmingham, AL), senior advisor
- 2016 Hillary Clinton presidential campaign, consultant, primary states director, and state director
- 2014 Michelle Nunn U.S. Senate campaign, political director
- 2012 Barack Obama presidential campaign, state field director
- 2006 Greg Hecht lieutenant gubernatorial campaign, field organizer
- 2015: Democratic Party of Georgia, political director
- 2013: Organizing for Action, state director
- 2012: Democratic Party of Ohio, regional field director
- 2010-2011: Service Employees International Union, organizer
- 2007-2010: Levy Restaurants, suite captain
- 2009-2010: Planned Parenthood Southeast
- 2010: Legislative coordinator
- 2009: Field director
Notable Quote of the Day
“It seems like [the debate criteria] is not criteria that is measuring the effectiveness of a future president. The DNC is usurping our roles … That’s been Iowa’s role in the past, and that’s been the beauty of the caucuses. Everyone is given a fair chance.”
– Jan Bauer, DNC member from Iowa
- Cory Booker, Steve Bullock, Pete Buttigieg, and Tom Steyer will speak at the second day of Georgetown University’s presidential candidate forum on climate change Friday. The event will be streamed live on NBC News Nows and Telemundo.
- Joe Biden, Booker, Buttigieg, Julián Castro, Tulsi Gabbard, Amy Klobuchar, Joe Sestak, Elizabeth Warren, and Marianne Williamson are participating in an LGBTQ presidential forum cosponsored by The Gazette, One Iowa, GLAAD, and The Advocate in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The Advocate said it was the first 2020 election event to focus exclusively on LGBTQ issues.
- Michael Bennet is holding an event with former Gov. Tom Vilsack in Des Moines, Iowa.
- Reps. Emanuel Cleaver (Mo.), G.K. Butterfield (Fla.), and Charlie Crist (Fla.) endorsed Biden Thursday.
- Bill de Blasio announced he was ending his presidential campaign Friday morning. “I feel like I’ve contributed all I can to this primary election and it’s clearly not my time,” he said in an interview on MSNBC’s Morning Joe.
- Angela M. Angel is joining Buttigieg’s campaign as black outreach director.
- Kamala Harris is campaigning in Iowa Friday and Saturday.
- Beto O’Rourke will campaign in Iowa Saturday.
- The Bernie Sanders campaign announced it had received contributions from 1 million donors, the fastest of any candidate in presidential election history.
- Andrew Yang will campaign in Iowa Saturday and Sunday.
What We’re Reading
Flashback: September 20, 2015
Hillary Clinton discussed the Syrian refugee crisis and the 2012 Benghazi attack in an interview on Face the Nation.