October 29 is the deadline to apply for an absentee ballot by mail in New Jersey. However, voters have until November 4 at 3 p.m. to apply in-person for a mail-in ballot at their county clerk’s office—known as in-person absentee voting—and submit the ballot in person. The deadline to return an absentee ballot is November 5 at 8 p.m.
New Jersey is holding the following elections, in addition to other elections beyond Ballotpedia’s coverage scope:
- 80 seats in the New Jersey General Assembly
- One special election for New Jersey State Senate District 1
- County register and county board of chosen freeholders in Essex County
- County executive, county sheriff, and county surrogate in Hudson County
- School board elections in Jersey City Public Schools
New Jersey voters will also decide a legislatively referred constitutional amendment—Public Question 1—that would extend an existing $250 property tax deduction that veterans receive to continuing care retirement centers on behalf of the veterans living there and require the retirement centers to pass the value of the deduction on to veterans in the form of credits or payments.
Jersey City voters will also vote on Municipal Question 1, a veto referendum concerning short-term rental property regulations and permit requirements.