The statewide primary for Tennessee was held on August 6, 2020. Candidates competed to advance to the general election scheduled for November 3, 2020.
Candidates ran in elections for the following offices:
Incumbent Lamar Alexander (R) did not file for re-election, leaving the seat open. Five Democrats and 15 Republican candidates competed in partisan primaries. Unofficial results show Marquita Bradshaw (D) and Bill Hagerty (R) advanced from their respective primaries.
• District 9: Incumbent Steve Cohen (D) defeated two challengers in the Democratic primary. Charlotte Bergmann (R) was unopposed in the Republican primary.
• Fifteen incumbents filed for re-election. No incumbents lost their bids for re-election, according to unofficial results.
• The District 15 race remains too close to call.
One seat on the Tennessee Court of Appeals was up for retention election. According to unofficial results, Western Section incumbent Carma Dennis McGee won her retention election. McGee will serve the remainder of an eight-year term, which is set to expire in 2024.
• Williamson County Schools
Entering the 2020 election, Tennessee’s U.S. congressional delegation has two Republican senators, two Democratic representatives, and seven Republican representatives. The U.S. Senate has 45 Democrats, 53 Republicans, and two independents who caucus with the Democratic Party. Only 33 out of 100 Senate seats are up for regular election and two seats are up for special election. A majority in the chamber requires 51 seats. The U.S. House has 232 Democrats, 198 Republicans, one Libertarian, and four vacancies. All 435 seats are up for election. A majority in the chamber requires 218 seats.
Tennessee has a Republican state government trifecta. A trifecta exists when one political party simultaneously holds the governor’s office and majorities in both state legislative chambers.
The primary is the 37th to take place in the 2020 election cycle. The next primary is on August 8 in Hawaii.
- United States Senate election in Tennessee, 2020
- United States House of Representatives elections in Tennessee, 2020
- Tennessee State Senate elections, 2020
- Tennessee House of Representatives elections, 2020
- Tennessee intermediate appellate court elections, 2020
- United States municipal elections, 2020, Tennessee
- Tennessee school board elections, 2020