April 6, 2021: Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) said that he opposed President Joe Biden’s (D) proposal to raise the corporate tax rate from 21% to 28%
Every weekday, Ballotpedia is tracking key presidential appointments, executive actions, and policy developments from the Biden administration.
- There are no committee hearings scheduled Tuesday. The Senate stands adjourned until April 12 for a full session.
- The Senate parliamentarian ruled on Monday that a revised budget resolution can use the reconciliation process, which would allow the Senate to pass spending legislation by a simple majority vote rather than 60 votes.
- Biden is expected on Tuesday to move up the deadline for all adults to be eligible for the coronavirus vaccine from May 1 to April 19. For more information about vaccine distribution and eligibility by state, click here.
- The Open Society Foundations are planning to spend $20 million to promote Biden’s infrastructure and social welfare proposals. Axios reported that spending on the campaign could reach $100 million.
- Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) said on Monday that he opposed Biden’s proposal to raise the corporate tax rate from 21% to 28%, preferring instead 25%. “If I don’t vote to get on it, it’s not going anywhere. So we’re going to have some leverage here. And it’s more than just me. … There’s six or seven other Democrats that feel very strongly about this,” Manchin said.
Transition in Context: Flashback to Obama’s First Year in Office
Here’s a look at what President Barack Obama (D) was doing this week during his first year in office.
- April 6, 2009: Obama addressed the Turkish parliament in Ankara as part of his first overseas trip as president.
- April 7, 2009: Obama visited troops at Camp Victory near Baghdad, Iraq.
- April 8, 2009: Obama was expected to make a supplemental request of $83 billion to help continue to fund wars in Iraq and Afghanistan through September.
- April 9, 2009: Obama hosted a Passover Seder at the White House.
- April 10, 2009: Obama met with financial regulators to discuss the health of 19 of the biggest U.S. banks.
What We’re Reading
- The Hill: Why did Biden put Harris in charge of the border crisis?
- Politico: The wage gap that threatens Biden’s climate plan
- The Wall Street Journal: Anatomy of a Biden Tax Hike