The filing deadline to run for elected office in Kentucky passed on Jan 25. Candidates filed for the following offices:
- U.S. Senate (one seat)
- U.S. House (six seats)
- Incumbent John Yarmuth (D) is not running for re-election in Kentucky’s 3rd Congressional District.
- Incumbents filed to run in the other five House races.
- State Senate (19 seats)
- State House (100 seats)
- State Supreme Court
- Intermediate appellate courts
Ballotpedia is also covering local elections in the following areas:
- Frankfort, Lexington, and Louisville
- Fayette County Public Schools and Jefferson County Public Schools
The primary is scheduled for May 17, and the general election is scheduled for Nov 8.
Kentucky’s statewide filing deadline was the second to take place in the 2022 election cycle. The next statewide filing deadline is on Jan. 28 in Alabama.
Entering the 2022 election, the Kentucky state House has 24 Democrats, 75 Republicans, and one vacancy. All 100 seats are up for election. A majority in the chamber requires 51 seats. Kentucky has a divided government and no state government trifecta. A state government trifecta exists when one political party simultaneously holds the governor’s office and both state legislative chambers.
Entering the 2022 election, the Kentucky State Senate has eight Democrats and 30 Republicans. There are 19 seats up for election.