President Joe Biden (D) announced his intent to nominate five individuals to Article III judgeships with lifetime terms on April 27:
- Sarah A.L. Merriam, to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- Lara Montecalvo, to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit
- Elizabeth Hanes, to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Anne Nardacci, to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- Ana Reyes, to the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
To date, Biden has nominated 93 individuals to federal judgeships. The U.S. Senate has confirmed 59 of the nominees.
As of his inauguration in January 2021, Biden inherited 46 Article III vacancies: two vacancies in the U.S. courts of appeal, 43 vacancies in the U.S. district courts, and one vacancy on the U.S. Court of International Trade. Biden announced his first federal judicial nominees on March 30, 2021.