Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Colorado House of Representatives District 62— Matthew Martinez (D) and Carol Riggenbach (R)— completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Democratic Party controls both chambers of Colorado’s state legislature. Colorado is one of 14 states with a Democratic trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What areas of public policy are you personally passionate about?
- “Protecting water rights in the San Luis Valley and opposing any plan that removes water from the San Luis Valley
- Investing in rural Colorado to ensure that their economic success is valued just as much as the metro area
- Improving access to affordable healthcare in rural Colorado
- Improving state support for Veterans mental health care”
“The first public policy that I am personally passionate about is healthcare. Our healthcare freedoms are being attacked from every front. I have worked within the healthcare field for 30 years. I am ready to make policy to protect our rights to choose what healthcare we accept and deny. The Veterans of The United States of America paid a dear price for our freedoms. We will take back our medical freedom and patient rights. My second public policy I have a burning passion for is the rights of parents and their right to raise their children as they determine.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Colorado House of Representatives election, 2022