Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Indiana House of Representatives District 62 — Penny Githens (D) and Dave Hall (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Indiana’s state legislature. Indiana is one of 23 states with a Republican trifecta government.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Public Education: At a time when Indiana is sitting on a record surplus, we should increase teacher pay, provide more support for rural schools, and institute universal pre-K for all 4-year-olds.”
- “Treatment Options: Many of our homeless neighbors and those in our local jail are suffering from mental illness and/or a substance use disorder. I want to increase treatment options to help keep people employed, keep families together, and save taxpayer money.”
- “Living Wage: Too many working Hoosiers live in poverty. I support expanding unions and increasing the minimum wage. And I believe tax incentives should be restricted to companies that pay a living wage”
- “I will protect innocent life.”
- “I will help strengthen the integrity of our elections by requiring paper ballots be printed to ensure the results of our elections are accurate.”
- “I will continue to be proactive in helping our communities truly make a positive impact in the lives of those suffering from drug abuse and mental health issues.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Indiana House of Representatives election, 2022