Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Texas House of Representatives District 73 — Justin Calhoun (D) and Carrie Isaac (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican party controls both chambers of Texas’s state legislature. Texas is one of 23 states with a Republican trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Elected Officials have ignored large groups of people simply because they didn’t vote for them. A representative is elected by the majority to represent ALL of their constituents, not just those that voted for them.”
- “For years politicians use issues like education, and the environment as political fatter doing little if anything to actively solve these issues. We need representation that focuses on issues rather than flip flopping to whatever is trending.”
- “Texas has grown and our diversity with it. We need to celebrate that growth and ensure all voices are heard in the legislative process.”
- “Carie will work to secure the border and keep communities safe by building a wall and stopping magnet policies that encourage illegal immigration, supporting law enforcement and stop the ‘defund the police’ movement, and implementing reforms to ensure a reliable electric grid.”
- “Soaring property taxes are out of control and have created a burden on working families, small businesses, and seniors. Carrie will fight to reform our property tax system and cut taxes — not just keep them from rising any higher.”
- “Carrie will uphold American values by preserving the Second Amendment, ensuring election integrity, standing up to Big Tech censorship of conservatives, and fighting for religious freedom.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.