Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Michigan House of Representatives District 77 —Emily Dievendorf (D) and John Magoola (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Michigan’s state legislature. Michigan is one of 13 states under divided government.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “There is no excuse for a lack of living wage. Every resident should make enough to both survive AND thrive.”
- “Public schools must be funded well, equitably, and funded as the long-term, consistent investment our future success and community should be.”
- “In the 77th District and nationally we need to address gun violence. We can all agree that we want more safety for our families and that responsible gun ownership is a reasonable expectation in order to save lives.”
- “Staunchly pro-2nd Amendment; I believe in pushing for Constitutional carry and state nullifying of federal gun restrictions”
- “Pro-parental rights in education; I am vehemently opposed to forcing parents to use public schools as well as against racial and gender indoctrination in public schools”
- “Staunchly pro-life; I am absolutely opposed to unfettered abortion and in favor of the defending of the human rights of unborn children”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Michigan House of Representatives elections, 2022