Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for New Hampshire House of Representative Belknap 1 — incumbent Tom Ploszaj (R) and Sean Kavanagh (D) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of New Hampshire’s state legislature. New Hampshire is one of 23 states with a Republican trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Promise #1 kept!: Listened to and represented the residents. Not an agenda of either a political party’s nor my own”
- “Promise #2 kept!: Communicated with and provided residents and town officials with updates to my voting thoughts and plans for their input prior to casting their District’s votes”
- “Promise #3 kept!: Refrained from political rhetoric, treated and interacted with each resident as an individual with their own unique beliefs, not as a political subset”
- “ECONOMY I will use my business experience to promote an economy that uses New Hampshire’s human and natural resources to improve the lives of the residents of this region.”
- “WOMEN’S RIGHTS ‘Live Free’ also extends to the women of New Hampshire, and their rights to bodily autonomy. I unequivocally support a woman’s right to choose.”
- “EDUCATION I will work to protect K-12 public education by attracting and retaining the best teachers. I will also research ways to allow school choice that is fair and equitable.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.