Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Rhode Island House of Representatives District 7 — incumbent David Morales (D) and Christopher Ireland (I) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Democratic Party controls both chambers of Rhode Island’s state legislature. Rhode Island is one of 14 states with a Democratic trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Universal Healthcare: For far too long, working people in Rhode Island have been denied the healthcare treatment they deserve as over 47,000 of people are uninsured and even more are ‘underinsured’.”
- “I remain focused on repealing our state’s tax-cuts for the rich and using these funds to reinvest in our communities by expanding behavioral healthcare, making public transportation free, and further investing in our public schools by revising our state’s inequitable education funding formula.”
- “Fair Taxation: We are in an affordable housing crisis as working people are being priced out of our community, first-generation homeownership is unattainable, and the state continues to invest in market-rate housing, as opposed to real affordable housing.”
- “When elected, I will focus on what’s right for the state and for the people”
- “When elected, I will not be influenced by outside political factors that would not benefit the people of Rhode Island”
- “I will represent all of Rhode Island decisions that will improve our state for all”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
Rhode Island House of Representatives elections, 2022