Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Wake County School Board District 1 in North Carolina — Cheryl Caulfield andBen Clapsaddle — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
According to the Wake County county public school system website, the school board is made up of nine members who “set policy for the school system implemented by the superintendent and administrative staff. The board also adopts an annual budget proposal that includes its request for local funding from the Wake County Board of Commissioners as well as its plan for using state and federal funds.”
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What areas of public policy are you personally passionate about?
- “Teachers need our support. That starts with understanding the real issues, what they need and how to get it. First, we need to listen to our teachers. We pay $100,000’s to consultants, yet teachers are our front-line, and they know what works in the classroom.”
- “WCPSS needs to focus on our learning loss recovery, and get back to basics; remove the politics in the classroom, and focus on reading, writing, and arithmetic.”
- “Fiscal responsibility is imperative. We budget for million of dollars on textbooks, but our children do not have textbooks. While our superintendent is the highest paid in the nation, our teachers sit at the low end of the national pay.”
- “Supporting Teachers and Staff: I will always respect the concerns of our educators, teaching assistants, specialists, support staff, and administrators. They are professionals and deserve a strong support system, continuing professional development, and competitive pay.”
- “Parental Involvement and Partnership: I want to partner with parents to make sure their needs and concerns are heard and addressed. I believe a school system works best when parents are involved in the policies concerning their children.”
- “Fair Budgeting I believe in being fiscally responsible, with an openness towards community concerns, and effective resourcing for all Wake County Public Schools.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Wake County School public school system, North Carolina, elections, 2022