All three candidates running in the June 20, 2023, Democratic primary for Virginia House of Delegates District 54 — Bellamy Brown, Katrina Callsen, and David Norris — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Here are the candidates’ responses to the question: Please list below 3 key messages of your campaign. What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “I have a track record of service, governing, and leading in ways that have brought positive value to the 54th District.
- I am the only Charlottesville native; and with that, bring an understanding of where our district has come from and where we should be headed in the future.
- I have the ability to work across the aisle and get work done on behalf of our district whether in the majority or minority.”
- “Codify and protect access to abortion and reproductive healthcare. …
- Pass gun safety laws and make sure domestic violence and child safety are a part of the conversation (mandatory gun storage laws, stronger gun protection and enforcement in protective orders, higher fidelity of enforcement with red flag laws).
- Strengthen and support access to high quality, inclusive public education. I would love to see a focus on teacher retention, increased pay, and recruitment to include deliberate work to recruit teachers from diverse backgrounds.”
- “I believe that the people of Charlottesville/Albemarle deserve a representative who has been in the trenches fighting for them — for you! — on the most important issues of our time.
- Affordable housing, living wage jobs, racial justice, reproductive freedom, LGBTQ+ rights, quality schools, entrepreneurship, environmental sustainability, clean energy, fiscal responsibility – these issues are at the core of who I am and what I’ve done as a public and community servant for the past three decades, both as Charlottesville Mayor & City Councilor and as a longtime non-profit leader.
- Looking for a proven leader with a bold vision for positive, progressive change? Vote for Dave.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.