Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Illinois House of Representatives District 16 — Kevin Olickal (D) and Vince Romano (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Democratic Party controls both chambers of Illinois’ state legislature. Illinois is one of 14 states with a Democratic trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “I want to provide the 16th District with the kind of ethical, effective, and proactive representation it deserves.”
- “I am a progressive Democrat committed to fighting for middle-class and working families,”
- “I have been endorsed by our nations leading gun violence prevention groups because they know I am committed to keeping our community safe.”
- “SAFETY/CRIME- If you value safety for your families and community, you need to vote for me. My opponent is a champion of NO CASH BAIL and wants criminals back on the streets ASAP.”
- “ECONOMY/JOBS- If you value good jobs and a keeping business in Illinois, you need to vote for me.”
- “TAXES- Illinois has the highest overall tax rate of all states, with over 7000 units of government( over 3 times that of Texas which has 4 times our population)”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.