The major-party filing deadline to run for elected office in Texas is on December 9, 2019. Independent candidates must submit their declaration of intent to run on the same date, but the final filing deadline for independent candidates is June 25, 2020. In Texas, prospective candidates may file for the following offices:
- U.S. Senate
- U.S. House
- Texas Railroad Commissioner
- Texas State Board of Education
- Texas State Senate
- Texas House of Representatives
- Texas Supreme Court
- Texas Court of Criminal Appeals
- Texas Court of Appeals
- Ballotpedia is also covering multiple municipal and school board elections in Texas in 2020.
The primary is scheduled for March 3, and the general election is scheduled for November 3, 2020.
Texas’s statewide filing deadline is the fifth to take place in the 2020 election cycle. The next statewide filing deadline is on December 18 in Ohio.
Texas has a Republican state government trifecta. A trifecta exists when one political party simultaneously holds the governor’s office and majorities in both state legislative chambers.