On May 15, the statewide filing deadline passed to run for elected office in Washington state. Candidates filed for the following state-level offices:
- Lieutenant Governor
- Attorney General
- Secretary of State
- Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Commissioner of Public Lands
- Commissioner of Insurance
- Washington State Senate (25 seats)
- Washington House of Representatives (98 seats)
- Washington Supreme Court (4 seats)
- Washington Court of Appeals (8 seats)
The primary is scheduled for August 4, and the general election is scheduled for November 3, 2020.
Washington’s statewide filing deadline was the 38th to take place in the 2020 election cycle. The next statewide filing deadline is on May 28 in Vermont.
Washington has a Democratic state government trifecta. A trifecta exists when one political party simultaneously holds the governor’s office and majorities in both state legislative chambers.