Thirty-four states have statewide orders requiring individuals to wear masks in indoor or outdoor public spaces, as of August 6. All 24 states with a Democratic governor have statewide mask orders, while 10 out of 26 Republican states require face coverings.
The mask requirements have been issued across five months:
• Three orders have been issued in August.
• 13 orders were initially issued in July.
• Four orders were initially issued in June.
• Six orders were initially issued in May.
• Eight orders were initially issued in April.
No states have allowed their mask orders to expire. Georgia is the only state where a statewide executive order prohibits localities from implementing mask restrictions.