Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Alabama House of Representatives District 3 —Wesley Thompson (D) and Kerry Underwood (R) —completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Alabama’s state legislature. Alabama is one of 23 states with a Republican trifecta government.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Small Businesses, Economic Growth, and Jobs: I believe in the dignity of a hard day’s work, but right now, hard working families are finding it harder and harder to make ends meet.
- “Education: Kids in the Shoals, whether they’re Black, Brown, or White, rich or poor, deserve the best education possible. We owe it to our kids to make sure they’re ready for what the future holds.
- “Healthcare: I believe we can repair a healthcare system that leaves thousands across the Shoals unable to afford to go to the doctor or fill a prescription. It is time we prioritize investment in the lives of Alabamians, in the lives of the people of the Shoals.
- “I will connect this district by my working relationships with local elected officials at city and county levels and work to help them achieve their priorities for your communities.”
- “I will continue to recruit industry into the area for good employment as I have for six years from my position on Shoals EDA board as Mayor.”
- “I will work to improve our mental health / addiction model at the State level to improve a person’s chances to become productive members of our community.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.