Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Nevada State Assembly District 25 — Selena La Rue Hatch (D) and Sam Kumar (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Democratic Party controls both chambers of Nevada’s state legislature. Nevada is one of 14 states with a Democratic trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
La Rue Hatch:
- “We face many challenges in Nevada. From an underfunded education system to the highest unemployment in the nation to the ravages of climate change.”
- “We’ve known it for years – education is broken in Nevada. And yet, nothing seems to change. Every two years, our leaders promise to fix our education system, but as someone who is in the classroom, I can tell you, I don’t see the fixes happening.”
- “Our district needs a teacher’s voice in the room where decisions are made. A voice of someone who understands what it means to carry thousands of dollars in student debt and pay almost half your income in childcare expenses.”
- “We need a free market system in education where the funding travels with the child. Schools need to focus on Reading, wRiting and aRithmetic, not politics and sex education”
- “We need better ballot integrity. Proof of citizenship and valid picture ID should be presented to vote. Mail ballot on request only, with real signature verification. End ballot harvesting.”
- “Immigration should be legal, limited and merit based. No welfare, stimulus or other types of payments to illegal aliens.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.