Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for New York State Assembly District 75 — Tony Simone (D) and Joseph A. Maffia (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Democratic Party controls both chambers of New York’s state legislature. New York is one of 14 states with a Democratic trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Government can be a force for equity, progress, and the improvement of all our lives. (That’s why I’m a Democrat!) Our district has had strong representation over the last fifty years by Assembly Member Gottfried fighting for our district’s interests here at home and for progressive values in Albany.”
- “I believe in co-governance. It takes a collaborative approach to find lasting solutions to our most complex problems. That’s how we’ll get things done.”
- “I’m not running for this seat for a fancy title. I’m running because I love the community that I’ve lived in, and have served, for over two decades — from serving on the community board to working for local elected officials and most recently working for Friends of Hudson River Park.”
- “NYS finances are in dire straights. Unfunded retirement benefit have put the state at risk which must be addressed now! It is not often publicized enough because of the inherent nature of the budgeting and accounting system – long term structural problems, i.e. if the bill is not due today we can kick the can down the road. This has to stop.”
- “Art stirs imagination, engages, heals, and promotes economic expansion and like the saying goes ‘Art saves lives’.”
- “Crime, quality of life and education are significant concerns for the 75th Assembly district. NYS’s dire fiscal health and conditions on the ground in this important district demands a proven leader, with a business background and a vision to support the 75th Assembly District which is the life blood of New York.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.