All three of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Arizona House of Representatives District 27 — incumbent Kevin Payne (R), incumbent Ben Toma (R), and Don Kissinger (D) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Arizona’s state legislature. Arizona is one of 23 states with a Republican trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What do you perceive to be your state’s greatest challenges over the next decade?
- “I’m a constitutional conservative they will uphold both the Arizona and the US constitution”
- “I’m an advocate of public safety to include correctional, police police and firefighters”
- “I believe in backpack funding for for our students where the money follows the child to whatever school ever school they attend. This includes public district, public charter, private and home schools.”
- “Economy, Small Government, & Low and Fair Taxes: I believe the best way to grow the economy and recover from this downturn is to get the government out of the way.”
- “Pro-life & Pro-school Choice: I’m pro-life. It’s a shame to see the liberal media hype up certain kinds of violence while completely ignoring the thousands of lives lost each day due to abortion.”
- “Pro Law Enforcement & 2nd Amendment: I fully support our Constitutional right to bear arms. The freedom to defend oneself is a necessary and practical freedom, especially during this time of riots and pushes to de-fund police departments.”
- “I am pro choice and supportive of federal and state constitutional amendments to ensure reproductive freedom.”
- “I support public education and would support improved oversight of charter or private schools receiving public money.”
- “I believe Arizona elections have been and continue to be free and fair. Those stating otherwise are simply dishonest.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area tofill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Arizona House of Representatives election, 2022