Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Arizona State Senate District 12 —Mitzi Epstein (D) and David Richardson (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Arizona’s state legislature. Arizona is one of 23 states with a Republican trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Education – Our community expects high quality public schools to support property values and local businesses today and to prepare our children to meet the unknowns of tomorrow with skills and confidence.”
- “Economy-Having worked in the financial sector and in technology, Mitzi uses her experience and knowledge to take a critical eye to proposed legislation.”
- “Fiscal Responsibility – Taxpayers deserve results from their investment in government projects. To know how our dollars are performing we must have transparency and accountability. Mitzi is highly respected in the legislature for her careful attention to detail and to budgets.”
- “My wife and I found out we were pregnant last summer, and I was burdened with the thought of the Arizona my son might inherit. Specifically, I’m concerned about our water supply, our school systems, our local economy, and our individual liberties.”
- “The issues facing Arizona have never been more complex or daunting than they are right now. We need skilled decision-makers in our state legislature. As an engineer-scientist and businessman, I’m skilled at diving into complex problems and finding innovative, economical solutions.”
- “I believe it is possible to uphold strong conservative values while still treating those who disagree with us as neighbors, not enemies.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.