Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Michigan House of Representatives District 38 —Joey Andrews (D) and Kevin Whiteford (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Michigan’s state legislature. Michigan is one of 13 states under divided government.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “A common and urgent problem for coastal communities is the rising water levels. Homes have fallen into the lake, basements are constantly flooding, water is standing in yards or fields, and backed-up sewer systems are flooding the streets.”
- “Affordable Housing has become a critical issue in our communities. Much of this has been driven by the explosion of the short-term rental industry which has sent prices spiraling upwards and broken up neighborhoods and communities.”
- “While tourism has brought many benefits, investments, and prosperity to our region; the scales have since tipped too far. The tourism and service industry do not provide sustainable middle class jobs to our residents seeking to live here year round and raise a family.”
- “Kevin is a CPA with a Masters in Taxation & has been a successful businessman for over 35 years. He understands the effect of rising inflation and taxes and will work to strengthen communities while working with small businesses of the district by ensuring that everyone can keep more of their hard earned money.”
- “To protect our community, Kevin knows it is essential to back our brave men and women of law enforcement. Kevin will also prioritize measures to keep our most volnerable populations safe such as the unborn, victims of domestic violence and human trafficking.”
- “Kevin understands the ways that the pandemic has changed many facets of our lives. Just like for his own family, Kevin is ready to work hard to make positive change through conservative legislation, empowering our communities for today and future generations.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Michigan House of Representatives elections, 2022