Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Ohio House of Representatives District 16 — incumbent Bride Rose Sweeney (D) and Michael Lamb (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Ohio’s state legislature. Ohio is one of 23 states with a Republican trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What areas of public policy are you personally passionate about?
- “I am running for re-election because Ohio needs more leaders who are committed to finding real solutions to the problems we face, not finding more ways to divide us.”
- “Since taking office, I have consistently been a much-needed voice of reason at the Ohio Statehouse, pushing back against extremists and derailing bad policy ideas on issues ranging from guns to voting rights.”
- “The newly drawn House District 16 is a very competitive open seat that leans only a few points Democratic. I initially decided to run in this seat in March to avoid a Democratic Primary and give Ohioans the best possible chance at breaking the Republican Supermajority, which has been so destructive to the State of Ohio.”
- “I am running to make sure that Cuyahoga County is no longer ignored in Columbus. The building blocks are still in place t make this the center of business growth in the country.”
- “We need to remove unnecessary bureaucratic red tape. Make it simple for small business to be formed, current business to grow here, and business that which to move here find an easy path to do so.”
- “We must provide our children with the opportunity for a superior education. This can be both through college prep class, or skilled trades. We should partner with business, both blue collar and white collar to have internships starting in high school to give students an understanding of what it takes to achieve success when they leave school.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.