Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Washington House of Representatives District 8-Position 2 — April Connors (D) and Joe Cotta (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Democratic Party controls both chambers of Washington’s state legislature. Washington is one of 14 states with a Democratic trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Better Schools. We need an advocate in Olympia who will fight for both children and parents. As a past PTO officer April has the experience and grit to defend our kids and put families back in the driver’s seat.”
- “Reliable Energy & Good Jobs The Tri-Cities is a world leader in clean, renewable energy – from nuclear to hydroelectric we’re leading the way to energy independence.”
- “Expanded Housing The Tri-Cities has not been immune to the statewide housing crisis. While Seattle politicians raise taxes and fight over regulations, their urban policies only exacerbate our problems in the Tri-Cities.”
- “I am running to restore individual liberties. Our religious, medical, election, educational and 2nd amendment liberties are all under attack.”
- “I believe in reinstating trust to our law enforcement officers. The ‘Use of force’ and ‘pursuit’ laws have had a devastating effect on our safety.”
- “Our farmers and other business owners want and deserve a level playing field. Over regulation from the government is crippling our farms and businesses. We need and must provide foreign and domestic policies that encourage free market principles, to allow the hard work of farming and other businesses to be rewarded.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.