Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Kentucky’s 30th Circuit Court Division 4 — incumbent Julie Kaelin and Ebert Haegele — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Kentucky District Courts are trial courts of limited jurisdiction in Kentucky. Matters heard by the district courts include city and county ordinance violations, juvenile matters, traffic offenses, misdemeanors, probate, preliminary felony hearings, small claims and civil cases involving $4,000 or less. Along with the family courts, the district courts hear cases of domestic violence.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “EXPERIENCE. I have broad experience. I have been a Public Defender. I have represented victims. I have been a civil lawyer.”
- “PROGRESS. Courts should work for the people, not the other way around. I believe in transparency, accountability, and equity. I want people to have faith in our court system and understand it better.”
- “A NEW DAY. Louisville used to elect the same people over and over again: usually white, usually male, usually government lawyers.I ran in 2018 to prove that Louisville wanted something different. And we did it.”
- “I have the experience needed to be a fair and just Circuit Court Judge”
- “The Citizens of Louisville need and deserve hard working judges-my work ethic and track record show that I will come to work early, leave late, and do everything in my power to make our courts work for those they serve.”
- “Judges must be loyal to the law and nothing else. Real change comes about not by pushing a personal agenda, but by following the law and seeing that everyone who comes before our courts is treated with equity and respect.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- City elections in Louisville, Kentucky, 2022