Both candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Michigan House of Representatives District 45 — incumbent Sarah Lightner (R) and Ron Hawkins (D) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Michigan’s state legislature. Michigan is one of 13 states with a divided government.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “I will continue to fight for tax reform. You deserve to keep more of your hard earned money and I will be your voice in Lansing to work for that.”
- “Parents should be involved in their child’s education. As a mom, and wife of a school board member, I know how important it is to be involved so we raise productive members of society.”
- “I will continue to fight for business in Michigan. Working with stakeholders to make our region more site ready will increase the attraction to Michigan.”
- “Bodily Autonomy. In very simple terms, Ron believes that the State should not tell an individual what they cannot remove from their body, nor should the State tell an individual what they must put into their body. The individual has the right to body autonomy”
- “Constitutional Rights. Ron is a strong supporter of gun rights. Gun rights are clearly established by the United States Constitution and the Michigan Constitution.”
- “Election Integrity. Ron believes elections must be conducted in a manner that provides the voter with an outcome that is fair and freely conducted.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Michigan House of Representatives elections, 2022