All four of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for the Colorado State Board of Education’s at-large seat completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The Colorado State Board of Education is an elected executive agency of the Colorado state government, responsible for managing the state’s public K-12 education. The board’s stated mission is “to provide all of Colorado’s children equal access to quality, thorough, uniform, well-rounded educational opportunities in a safe and civil learning environment.”
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “My first key issue as a State Board member is to ensure academic excellence for all Colorado Students.”
- “Second, we need to elevate the teaching profession to attract and retain the best educators.”
- “Third is promoting accountability and transparency through partnerships of students, parents and the community to create the best outcomes for all students by using student achievement data, budget priorities and shared goals.”
- “All of our children deserve an education that is at the peak of academic excellence, focusing on literacy, math, science, and history.”
- “Teachers are professionals that should be well compensated and enabled with the skills to serve our children.”
- “Parents deserve to have choices in, and control over, the schools that serve their children.”
- “Efficient robust education that fits all citizens. Allowing for school of choice, as well a STEAM oriented curriculum.”
- “Educator hiring and retention.”
- “Safer schools and making CO the number 1 state for education”
- “Unity in Education”
- “No politics K-12”
- “Be prepared”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.