Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Attorney General of Rhode Island— incumbent Peter Neronha (D) and Charles Calenda (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
This is one of 30 attorney general seats on the ballot in 2022. All 50 states have an attorney general who serves as the state’s chief legal officer. The attorney general enforces state law and advises the state government on legal matters. Rhode is one of 23 states with a Democratic attorney general, and one of 18 states with a Democratic triplex government.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “We have built a strong Office that is getting out on offense and delivering strong results for Rhode Islanders every day….”
- “To protect public safety more effectively, we created an Urban Violent Crime Task Force, combining multiple police agencies under our umbrella and using proactive police intelligence, data analysis, and ballistics technology to identify and target violent criminals wielding illegal firearms.”
- “Our Civil Division is doing unprecedented work protecting Rhode Island’s healthcare systems…”
- “Law Above Politics”
- “Independent Check and Balance on Government”
- “Seeking justice for all Rhode Islanders”
Click here to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.