Both candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Jackson County Legislature District 1 in Missouri — Manny Abarca (D) and Christina McDonough Hunt (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The Jackson County Legislature functions as the county’s legislative body. It enacts all county ordinances, which are subject to approval or veto by the county executive, and appoints the county clerk and county auditor. The Jackson County Legislature has nine members who are elected to four-year terms.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “If we don’t curb the impact of extreme spikes in property taxes, we will drive out the very folks that make us such a diverse and vibrant County.”
- “We must strengthen our economic development efforts in Jackson County.”
- “A regional approach to every priority, from the redesigning of our publicly funded healthcare systems, to a regional transit systems that balances entertainment and workforce commutes.”
- “Fair Property Tax Assessments- Property taxes must be fair, and it begins with fair assessments.”
- “Crime & Drugs – Drugs are a major issue in our communities. I stand for funding of community programs and groups that educate and work to prevent drug use and distribution.”
- “A Balanced and Economical Budget – I believe in a balanced, fair, and economical budget. Excess spending hurts our community.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.