Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Lieutenant Governor of Oklahoma — incumbent Matt Pinnell (R), Melinda Alizadeh-Ford (D), and Chris Powell (L) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The Lieutenant Governor of Oklahoma is an elected constitutional officer, the second-ranking officer of the executive branch and the first officer in line to succeed the Governor of Oklahoma. The lieutenant governor is popularly elected every four years by a plurality and is limited to two terms.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Stronger Local and Small Businesses: Local employers and small businesses are the engines of our economy and entrepreneurship is the future.”
- “Expanding Business Recruitment and Tourism: Thanks to the leadership of Governor Stitt and Lt. Governor Pinnell, we are no longer content to stand by and accept the role of a Midwestern flyover state with little to offer industry leaders of the 21st century.”
- “Protecting Our Families, Defending Our Values: We’ve seen what happens to other states when the people relinquish too much power to big government bureaucrats.”
- “Transparency – return of Accountability and Oversight.”
- “Integrity – I will work for Oklahoma, all Oklahomans.”
- “Aptitude – I have the work and real life experiences and initiative to work with all Oklahomans for the betterment of our state”
- “The office of Lt. Governor holds almost no responsibility or authority.”
- “The Secretary of State, a gubernatorial appointee with numerous specified duties, should replace the Lt. Governor in the line of succession if the Governor’s office becomes vacant.”
- “If elected, while advocating for elimination of the office of Lt. Governor I will refuse the Highway Patrol security detail and employee no more than one staff member.”
Click here to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Matt Pinnell
- Melinda Alizadeh-Ford
- Chris Powell