Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Colorado State Board of Education District 6 — incumbent Rebecca McClellan (D) and Molly Lamar (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The Colorado State Board of Education is an elected executive agency of the Colorado state government, responsible for managing the state’s public K-12 education. The board’s stated mission is “to provide all of Colorado’s children equal access to quality, thorough, uniform, well-rounded educational opportunities in a safe and civil learning environment.”
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Academic growth and achievement are my top priority. I’m pleased to have successfully advocated to prioritize our state’s ESSER funds on proven strategies like high impact tutoring.”
- “Working with parents, I have supported the bipartisan READ Act to deliver evidence-based literacy instruction to more Colorado students, including students with dyslexia.”
- “I am endorsed by parents, teachers, and school leaders for my demonstrated commitment to academic excellence and opportunity for all Colorado Students.”
- “Parent engagement and partnerships. Across our state we are facing a crisis concerning student performance. Currently, 60 percent of Colorado third graders cannot read at grade level. 70 percent are not proficient in math. What we are doing is not working.”
- “Improving academic outcomes. School districts are spending exorbitant amounts of money on divisive programs that do little to improve academic outcomes.”
- “School safety. I will collaborate with school districts and law enforcement in implementing safety measures such as additional cameras, locks on all exterior doors, and School Resource Officers (SROs) to ensure the safety of our children.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Colorado State Board of Education elections, 2022