Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for California State Assembly District 20 —Shawn Kumagai (D) and Liz Ortega (D) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Democratic Party controls both chambers of California’s state legislature. California is one of 14 states with a Democratic trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What areas of public policy are you personally passionate about?
- “As a councilmember, I’ve balanced my city’s budget 4 years running, secured for my city the highest possible credit rating, cut waste and duplication and got more out of every hard earned tax dollar, that’s how you know In the Assembly, I’ll tackle inflation, keep taxes low, and treat your hard-earned tax dollars with respect.”
- “As an elected Councilmember, I have made funding public safety to protect our families a top priority.”
- “Getting results on homelessness means making tough, compassionate decisions to take back our public spaces so seniors, children, and families can feel safe again in our public spaces.”
- “Liz is a strong advocate for women’s reproductive freedoms and healthcare. That is why she is the only Assembly District 20 candidate endorsed by both Planned Parenthood and the California Democratic Party.”
- “Liz has taken the No Corporate Money pledge. She’s spent more than two decades challenging the status quo to stand up for working families–and winning. She’s a coalition builder who gets results.”
- “If elected, Liz will stand up for our reproductive freedoms and women’s healthcare, and fight for affordable housing, environmental justice, and safer neighborhoods.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
California State Assembly, elections 2022