Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Ohio Sixth District Court of Appeals— Tom Puffenberger (D) and Charles Sulek (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The District Courts of Appeal are the intermediate appellate courts for the state of Ohio. The courts are established by Article IV, Section 1 of the Ohio Constitution, and their jurisdiction is outlined in Article IV, Section 3. The District Courts of Appeal primarily hear appeals from the Common Pleas, Municipal and County courts.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Experience matters. I have experience in all areas of the law, including civil and criminal jury trial experience.”
- “I am committed to deciding cases based on the law, regardless of my personal beliefs or opinions. There is no place for politics in the judiciary.”
- “I am committed to the area in which I would serve. I am extremely active in the community and have a vested interest in keeping Northwest Ohio safe, and keeping it a wonderful place to raise a family.”
- “Charlie’s experience, which includes working as a Judicial Attorney at the Ohio Supreme Court, an assistant prosecuting attorney, and in private practice as a civil litigation attorney, has prepared him to be your judge. He will be effective from day one.”
- “Charlie will be fair and impartial, will uphold the rule of law, and will protect the rights of all individuals.”
- “Charlie believes we need judges that are competent, hardworking, and committed to making decisions based on the law.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
Ohio intermediate appellate court elections, 2022