Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Tarrant County Criminal Court No. 6 in Texas — Ebony Turner (D) and Randi Hartin (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The Tarrant County Criminal Courts are trial courts in Tarrant County, Texas.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “I am passionate about persons who suffer with mental health issues, drug and alcohol addictions, and persons with disabilities.”
- “The first tenet of my platform is Effective Judgments. Effective Judgments means not just locking people up, but coming up with creative solutions to prevent recidivism.”
- “The second tenet of my platform is Efficient Justice. This means I want to save taxpayer dollars by reducing the backlog of cases plaguing Tarrant County. As a former public defender, I handled thousands of cases successfully, so I am the perfect person to come up with creative ways to reduce the backlog while also ensuring justice is served and rights are preserved.”
- “First and foremost, voters should know that I will enforce the law as it is written. Given the climate of our political arena, I have found some people misunderstand a judge’s role. A courtroom is no place for personal biases or agendas.”
- “Secondly, all citizens who come before me should expect to be treated with respect, whether they are a victim, defendant, witness or attorney.”
- “Finally, beginning November 1st, CCC6 begins transitioning from a misdemeanor court that hears all misdemeanors to a dedicated family violence court. Solely handling family violence cases presents challenges for all parties that handling a mix of DWIs, thefts, and low-level drug offenses does not. I plan to prioritize reducing the docket size of Criminal Court Six and create a new case management plan to address that change in caseload.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.