Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Travis County Clerk in Texas — Dyana Limon-Mercado (D) and Susan Haynes (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
According to the Travis County website, the county clerk’s responsibilities include “the conduct of elections; the filing and preservation of real property records; and the management of civil, probate, and misdemeanor court documents. This office also serves as Clerk of the Courts and manages the documents used in the County’s probate, civil, and misdemeanor court proceedings.”
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “FAIR & SECURE ELECTIONS: Our democracy is better when more eligible voters have access to the ballot box and voters are confident that their vote is protected.”
- “EFFICIENT & ACCESSIBLE COURT ADMINISTRATION: It is the County’s duty to ensure that all residents have access to the records they need.”
- “RELIABLE & ACCURATE COUNTY AND PROPERTY RECORDS: It is the County’s duty to ensure that all residents have access to the records they need.”
- “One person, one vote, must be legal resident with proper ID”
- “Return to paper ballots and hand counting, no more voting machines.”
- “There is one Election Day, not an election month. Elections are a serious event, we must make time to show up on Election Day. Election months present opportunities for cheating and manipulation.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.