Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Wisconsin State Assembly District 55 — Stefanie Holt (D) and Nate Gustafson (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Wisconsin’s state legislature. Wisconsin is one of 13 states with a divided government.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Public Education is critical to a strong labor force and innovation and entrepreneurships. I encouraged the Neenah Joint School District to work with the community, families, and businesses to understand their needs and develop partnerships to deliver relevant curriculum.”
- “I decided to run for state assembly when I learned of the leaked draft SCOTUS decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. I feel strongly that women must be equal partners in our society, that our businesses and schools are better off when our workforce is diversified, and that women are better able to get the medical care they need when reproductive decisions are left between a woman and her doctor.”
- “Bigger issues including climate change, access to health care, our democracy, and returning to civility require tackling by people who care about Wisconsin and are willing to work hard to ensure the people of our state are protected.”
- “As a staunch fiscal conservative, I will fight to make sure that every dollar our state government spends is spent wisely. As times have gotten tough, I want to ensure you have the money you earned in your pocket as you will know better how to spend it than the government.”
- “I am a firm believer in people keeping medical decisions between themselves and their doctor. Government is not here to dictate lives or livelihoods, nor should that be the case in the healthcare field.”
- “Though the government should not be overburdening companies with stringent regulations, providing a baseline to protect our data is crucial. I also support boosting incentives for cybersecurity awareness and education.”
Click on candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2022