Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Chula Vista City Council District 2 in California —Jose Preciado and Steve Stenberg — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The Chula Vista City Council is the city’s primary legislative body. It is responsible for approving and adopting the city budget, levying taxes, and making or amending city laws, policies, and ordinances. The city council consists of five members including the mayor. All are elected to four-year terms and are limited to serving two terms of office.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Public safety is a top priority. I will partner with law enforcement, social agencies and the community to address the root causes of crime – and ensure Measure A sales tax dollars go toward hiring officers.”
- “Home prices are skyrocketing. As President of a local nonprofit, I advocate for fair housing and affordable options. I will expand services for unhoused people and housing options for young adults, working families and seniors.”
- “Revitalize West Chula Vista by attracking new employers and supporting micro business development.”
- “I will prioritize public safety by ensuring our neighborhoods are adequately staffed with police and firefighters to maintain quick response times during crisis.”
- “I support Chula Vista’s small business community to ensure a strong local economy and more revenue for quality city service.”
- “Improve and update infrastructure in Northwest Chula Vista and ensure our older communities receive their fair share of resources.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- City elections in Chula Vista, California, 2022