Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Cook County Commissioner District 13 in Illinois — Josina Morita (D) and Andrew Border (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The board of commissioners functions as the county’s primary legislative and policy-making body. Most boards also control county land usage, oversee environmental issues and possess executive powers, meaning they have the authority to appoint or remove departmental heads. Cook County has 17 commissioners who are elected by district to four-year terms. In addition to the 17 commissioners, there is a president of the board of commissioners who serves as the chief executive officer of Cook County.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “I am running for Cook County Board to make Cook County more equitable, accessible and sustainable.”
- “I am a working mom, urban planner, and community advocate.”
- “I will be the first Asian American woman elected to the Cook County Board.”
- “GOVERNMENT REFORM: Repeal the June 2022 Cook County public official pay increase. Push anti-corruption reforms outlined by the Independent Voters of Illinois.”
- “TAX RELIEF: No new taxes, no tax increases. Hold the Cook County Cook County Assessor Office accountable issuing accurate property taxes issued in a timely and consistent matter.”
- “PUBLIC SAFTEY MANAGEMENT: Demand transparency and real-time data on offenders who are on electronic monitoring.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.
- Races with a 100% Candidate Connection completion rate, 2022
- Municipal elections in Cook County, Illinois (2022)