Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Long Beach City Council District 3 in California — Kailee Caruso and Kristina Duggan — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The Long Beach City Council is the city’s primary legislative body. It is responsible for adopting the city budget, approving mayoral appointees, levying taxes, and making or amending city laws, policies, and ordinances.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Homelessness: Kailee has a decade of experience providing hands-on assistance to folks experiencing housing insecurity, mental health challenges and substance dependancy.”
- “Public Safety: Kailee is Pro-Public Safety. The primary function of government is to keep residents safe.”
- “Small Business Recovery: Small businesses are the backbone of the 3rd District, and many are still struggling through the effects of the pandemic.”
- “Without safety, our Quality of Life is diminished. With significant increases in violent crime and property crime, we need more resources and policies that hold criminals accountable.”
- “With the significant increase in homelessness over the past few years, we need to come up with both short term and long-term solutions for this tragic crisis.”
- “I am best qualified to bring people together with solutions that make sense by convening stakeholders, redirecting existing funds to where they will matter most, and implementing a plan of action.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.